Saturday 21 December 2013

Stuck in a “Play safe” mode


If you are a user of Sony Xperia; turning on the safe mode won’t be farfetched. If you a regular victim of PC crash, you know what it means to log on to a safe mode.

You can juggle through life in a safe mode like any computer hardware or program. But if you have to outlive life and be the God-Intended woman, you’ve got to disable your play safe applications.

'Play safe' says settle for less, in case you don’t get something better. It tells you to back out when you don’t need to. It reminds you that it might not work. It empowers the question, ‘why try?’ You say, “I might as well stay on this job because I am not sure I will get another one.” It forces you to stay in an abusive relationship because after all, they say, all men are the same. If you resign now, you might likely go hungry for a year. Don’t change business because people are hardly making it these days. It holds you from making and living life  at its best. 

Que Sera! Sera!! Whatever will be! Will be! You recline and resign to fate.

Can you think of a worse way to live life than that? We all do, at least in many aspects of life, especially when we are afraid to take a plunge. Certainly I do! Many times, I switch on my play safe mode and get stuck. I remember not using my car for nearly three months because I was afraid, I would hit someone or the engine might break down or tires get flat in the middle of the road. Rather than face the adversity, I rather take a walk to work. What a needless pain I bore for those months. What a needless pain we bear daily. It’s like sitting in a car and carrying your baggage on your laps. Why was the car designed with a boot?

Sometimes, we are beyond playing safe. We are confident about everything. We throttle life as if there is no stop sign on the road. We move, we press on with no fears or obstacles until we get hit by a moving truck. We ground to a halt unexpectedly and switch on a safe mode. I did! TostelCakes, a business I started in my undergraduate days was one of it. It was fantastic; it was great until I met a giant slayer. I grinded to a halt and then opted for a safe mode and never got out of it for too long.

When you move through life in a safe mode, there are no risk, no adversity, no life and no gain. You don’t get to meet people because you avoid them all together. You don’t get to live out your dreams because you avoid them anyway. You get by life with no excitement, pass it down the throat of the people around you and blame the world for everything.

I took a glance at my PC when it said ‘safe mode’. All applications were inactive. All lights dimmed. Partially, the computer was a living dead. I took a glance at one of my engine designs and realized in a play safe mode, ‘low power’, it was at its most inefficient operation. This means if you are stucked too long, you will be long gone before you eventually pass away.

You don’t have to live in a slow, passive, negative, objective way of life. Whatever it will take you to move out of your play safe mode, do it. If you have to get more educated, assertive, confident, just do it. And remember, it does not have to start with a huge sum of cash. It could simply just mean that you need to make a decision to life, stay consistent and resign never to resign to fate. 

Certainly, God has not called us to a ‘play safe mode’. He has called us to a life of dominance, grace, fulfilment and joy. He has called us to be active members of our community; active voices in our community; brilliant, creative members of the body of Christ and much more a light to the world.

Much Love
Oluwamitomisin

No comments:

Post a Comment